Palo Alto School PTAs, in cooperation with the City of Palo Alto and the Palo Alto Police Department, are replacing the previous city-wide bike registration program with a new online national bike registration program — BikeIndex.org. Registered bikes are in Bike Index’s main database, and if a bike goes missing, the owner can mark it as stolen. PAPD will use Bike Index to help reunite stolen bikes with their owners. In fact, once a user has marked the bike as stolen, anyone who finds the bike can use the system to contact the bike’s owner. (All bikes in the system are visible, but the owner’s personal information is never displayed publicly.) Create a personal bikeindex.org account or fill out the form below to simply register your student's bike.
Additional Bike Index Options
Add your bike to the City of Palo Alto and Greene Middle School groups
- Create a Bike Index account using the same email address that you used in the registration activity above.
- From your account, select the Your Bikes tab from the top menu.
- Click Edit Bike on the bike you want to add to the group.
- Select Groups + Ownership from the left side menu and click the add organization button.
- Search for "City of Palo Alto" and/or "Greene Middle School" and click the blue Save Changes button on the left.
Link your registered bike to a Bike Index QR sticker
- Create a Bike Index account on bikeindex.org.
- Get a QR sticker, available in the front office of all Palo Alto Secondary Schools.
- Scan the QR code on the sticker using your preferred QR code reader (for example, a stand-alone app or the Chrome browser’s built-in QR code reader)
- The scanned code will take you to a bikeindex.org page that says, “Oh no! Sticker ____ [sticker number] is not linked to a bike".
- Log into your Bikeindex.org account. Enter the URL of the bikeindex entry directly or choose a bike from your list of bikes by clicking Link Sticker in the Link IT! column.